The Checklist: Getting Ready for the 2018-2019 School Year
Here is a checklist of things to help make sure you are equipped with the information you need to have a successful year:
1. Join the RCMS PTSA. Online registration coming soon.
2. Subscribe to the RCMS PTSA listserv - https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RCMS-PTSA/info The listserv will also be sending you the daily morning announcements. Make sure that you and your student are subscribed to this listserv. Email your request to - firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Order the RCMS T-Shirts
4. PTSA After-School Clubs – Registration Opening Soon. Info will be sent out via Connect Ed soon.
5. Back To School supplies. School list is on this PDF file - http://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/uploadedFiles/schools/clementems/news/Suggested%20Supply%20List.pdf
6. Submit the SSL forms for service your child did during the summer in the front office before the last Friday in September. Make copies or take pictures of the SSL forms before you submit these forms for your own records. SSL hours expire if not submitted before the deadline.
7. Make sure your student has finished the Summer Assignments. These assignments are graded and will count towards your child’s GPA in the first semester. Summer Assignments can be found at http://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/schools/clementems/news/news.aspx?id=592226
8. Complete your child’s Student Emergency Information Form so you’re contacted about school closings, illnesses and important updates. Be sure to let the school know if your information changes during the school year. This is especially important for students whose home middle school is not Clemente, make sure that the school has your complete, current and correct information. http://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/departments/forms/pdf/565-1.pdf
9. Sign up for the myMCPS parent portal! https://portal.mcpsmd.org/public/home.html MyMCPS is a web-based system that allows parents of middle and high school students to monitor their child’s grades and assignments. Elementary and secondary parents can also stay connected by downloading the new myMCPS app. The app is free and is available on the iPhone App store and Google Play.
10. Calendars - View, print or download the MCPS 2018-2019 calendar and stay informed on important dates and events. The interactive calendar tool allows users to build their own calendar so that they can see information that is important to them. Or better still – subscribe to the Roberto Clemente School and RCMS PTSA Calendars that has already incorporated the MCPS dates.
i. Roberto Clemente MS Goodgle Calendar https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=mcpsmd.net_8kv9jh51nsc1qq5gpddghj7pi4%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America/New_York
ii. RCMS PTSA Google Calendar. https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=mj5v46cr7ouu29afl3sc96mjjs%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America/New_York
11. Transportation - Get your child’s bus route information. Parents who have questions about bus routes can find answers here. Make sure that you keep handy the bus-route number and the depot manager contact info (Tip: Keep a copy in your car too!).
12. School Lunch - Remember to use MySchoolBucks to add school meal money to your child’s account. This will eliminate the need for your child to have to bring money to school every day. School cafeterias also accept cash or check prepayment. Remember that we are a large school and so we have four lunch periods. If the lunch is too late for your student or they do not have enough time to eat their lunch, consider packing lunch for them from home.
13. Make sure that your student is up to date with all medical and dental checkups, Flu shots, hearing, vision tests, etc.
14. If you have a seventh and/or eighth grade student, ensure that they receive their Tdap and MCV4 vaccinations prior to the start of the school year. Students not in compliance will be excluded from attending school until they provide documentation.
Immunization Clinic information -
Germantown Health Center
12900 Middlebrook Road,
2nd floor, Germantown
15. Learn more about school rules and regulations. Especially review the Student Code of Conduct with your child to get an understanding about what is expected from your student.
16. Attend the first PTSA meeting on SEPTEMBER 11 and find out about the PTSA sponsored clubs and opportunities. Since these are highly coveted opportunities with limited space, these tend to get filled up within hours of being announced. For the sake of equity and fairness, we will announce such opportunities via the school Connect ED, PTSA Meetings, as well as the RCMS PTSA listserv. For many of these clubs and many of these opportunities - it is first come, first served.
17. Plan to attend Clemente's Back-to-School Night on SEPTEMBER 13 at 7 p.m.
18. Do Not OPT OUT of the student directory. We do not produce a hard copy of the student directory. Our student directory is entirely online. You can only access the directory if you have a valid email address AND you have not opted out of the directory. You have full control of your data in the online directory if you have access to it.
19. Sign up for MCPS Quicknotes http://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/mainstory/story/88994/QuickNotes/
Upcounty Center Programs Parents Listserv: This is a free online discussion forum exclusively for Magnet Center parents in both Roberto Clemente MS and MLK MS. Incoming center parents to the programs at Clemente MS and MLK MS are strongly encouraged to join.
To request membership visit https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/clementehgcenter/info
Include the following information in your email
- Parent Name
- Student Name
- Center Program (Humanities or Math/Sci)
- School (Roberto Clemente MS or/and MLK MS)
Subscribe to the free RCMS PTSA yahoo listserv
Parents, Students, Teachers, Administrators, Alumni and community members - Subscribe to the RCMS PTSA listserv and you will get emails from the PTSA about important dates and events at the school, MCPS, PTSA, Morning Announcements and much, much more.
Subscription is free and you do not have to be a member of the PTSA. Just send an email to - email@example.com
Sign-Up Today for Giant A+Rewards…It’s FREE!
Do you shop at Giant Food stores? Whether you shop there regularly, or occasionally, be sure to designate RCMS on your Giant Rewards card by going to the Giant A+School Rewards page to sign-up. Giant will donate a small percentage of your shopping purchases back to our school. There’s no charge to you, but RCMS benefits. You can also tell you’re your family, friends, neighbors and coworkers to register their Giant Rewards cards to support RCMS.
- Roberto Clemente MS School id is: 03034, or you can locate RCMS using the “search by state” feature and scrolling through the schools listed in Germantown.
- Don’t remember your Giant Card number? Call the Giant hotline 1-877-366-2668.
Shopping on Amazon? Make Every Dollar Count When You Shop on Amazon using RCMS’ AmazonSmile link!
Did you know Amazon donates back to RCMS PTSA if you shop using our designated AmazonSmile link? Just bookmark and shop using RCMS PTSA’s designated AmazonSmile link https://smile.amazon.com/ch/52-1881435
You’ll know you’re at the right place, if you see the AmazonSmile logo in the upper left corner of the page. Under the white search bar, you should see “Supporting: Roberto Clemente Middle School PTSA”.
If not, go to Your Account to select “Change Charity” and designate “Roberto Clemente Middle School PTSA” as your charity to support. RCMS PTSA only receives these benefits if you use our AmazonSmile link. Amazon donates 0.5% of the price of your eligible AmazonSmile purchases to Roberto Clemente Middle School PTSA whenever you shop on AmazonSmile. AmazonSmile is the same Amazon you know, it’s just designed to give money back. Same products, same prices, same service. Find out more about AmazonSmile here. Happy shopping and thank you for supporting RCMS PTSA!